It’s been a week of hard work in the garden.
We have at last been able to burn the branches torn down from the trees during the storm on 26 July this year. We need to get authorisation from the Mairie (our local authority) to burn the branches in the garden so we were all set for this Friday.
Of course, all the larger wood was cut up and we first brought it up in barrow loads for storing. A huge pile of small branches had been left on the grass and even more was distributed under the trees.
All it needs now is a cut with the mower and I will be very happy to forget about the mound of branches at the bottom of the garden. I did notice it was the favourite haunt of a wren who used to fly out of it when I passed by.
I don’t know if it is the same one that paid us a visit.
She came into the utility room.
I can’t say I blame her as it was a very cold day.
She did no seem in the least perturbed by her visit to the house but I do not know why she was picking up dried leaves to fly off with. It is not nesting time unless they make a place to roost when it is cold.
Our resident ring dove is keeping watch over the Kaki fruit as they ripen. There is not much fruit this year, perhaps due to the late spring. It looks as if it is going to be a race between us and the dove to see who’s going to be the first to get them when they are ripe.
There used to be a Forsythia beside the Kaki tree but this has been removed to allow more sun on the border for flowers.
As I cleared the border I lifted a stone from the stump of an old Hibiscus to reveal the little toadstools hidden underneath. I was struck by the symmetry and force of their growth.
I noticed another fungus when I was gathering the wood at the bottom of the garden. It is an attractively coloured fungus that I have seen before on the dead wood in the garden. I think it may be Tremella mesenterica.
On a brighter note our cotoneasters are full of bright red berries and are doing their bit to brighten up the garden. They seem to thrive here on minimal water and care.
Crazed with our success at replanting our cherry tree last year, we decided to move a pear tree this week. It has not thrived well in the front garden and its removal will give more light to the border behind it.
Its roots were not too big and it was a one man job to get it into the barrow. No need to get the car involved this time, which is just as well as it would have been difficult to manoeuvre it into the front garden.
It looks much happier in the back garden. It has not given us large crops of pears (Williams) but I valued it more for the beautiful blossom that it gives us every spring.
Gosh! That was a near thing, I nearly posted a blog without a picture of a bee!