It’s the middle of August and the grass is green!
In the summer the vegetables get watered and any of the new or less drought tolerant plants but not the grass. The grass gets left to go brown and anything that grows up after it rains is mowed. However, this year the rain has kept the garden and usually the vegetables sufficiently watered. My neighbour, Annie, who has gardened here for many years does not remember a year with such constant rain. In between the rain there has been plenty of sunshine and the temperatures have not been low.
After the first blossoming in the spring the Wisteria usually blossoms another once, sometimes twice, later in the summer but this year it has hardly stopped flowering.
Even the Philadelpus that I cut back heavily after it flowered in May has decided to push out a few more blooms.
That’s the problems with plants. They don’t do what you expect them to. I like to have Cosmos in the garden in late summer to add some colour and give plenty of flowers to cut. I sowed this “Sensation mix” for the border, the 120 cm. marked on the seed packet seemed a good height for the borders. However, these are now taller than I am and are hiding a sunflower I planted behind them.
The sunflower they are obscuring is grown from the seeds I kept from my “Earthwalker” variety which has not bred true but it is a very attractive colour all the same.
Returning to my Cosmos problem some of the Cosmos on the other side of the garden have kept to their expected height – but not all.
I am a bit disappointed with my pallid “Vanilla Ice” sunflower. These ornamental sunflowers seem to flower later and be more delicate plants than the plain ones my husband sows from the birdseed.
This year I sowed Asters for the first time.
A 60p packet of “Duchess mixed” bought in the UK has provided a lot of colour. I bought them to attract the bees but I have not seen a lot of action around them yet.
But this Halictus scabiosae bee was using the Aster as shelter in a windy day and did not want to be disturbed.
This week I bought a new bee box from Amazon. I am quite excited as it can be taken apart in the autumn when the bees are finished laying their eggs. I thought the design was simple and innovative. The holes look rather large but I have been surprised by some little bees tackling large holes or canes. It is a bit late to put one up so I may get nothing this year.
The newest “husband made” box has almost got a full occupancy. The three holes that look empty on the log are in fact partially filled. Some bees appear not to fill the holes or canes fully.
These tiny Megachiles are very busy at the moment and I wonder if they will be tempted by the new box. Some people are concerned that the bee boxes can be parasitised and prefer to use paper tubes that can be opened to remove and clean the cocoons. I asked on a bee forum and found that opinion was very split on this. It has to be born in mind that parasites are part of nature and if you accept one part you have to accept the other. I think the bee boxes are fascinating and a wonderful way to observe some of the bees. My box originates from Wildlife World which is a UK company that supplies tubes and paper liners that I might try, although they do not deliver outside the UK.
The other evening we had a surprise visit from two pairs of hoopoes. We had never had four hoopoes on the lawn before! They made themselves at home and were extracting lots of juicy looking treats from the moist grass. They came right onto the patio and helped themselves to some bird food. We were very hopeful that they would become permanent visitors but unfortunately that was the last we saw of them but we can always hope that they’ll come back!